We've tackled 'The Teen', but now it's time to decipher what you could gift for 'The Hipster'. For those that know what 'The Hipster' is, you probably know the more random the gift the better. For those that are trying to figure out what exactly we're referring to, or if in fact their friend fits into "The Hipster' category, here are some Hipster Facts:
- A true Hipster will never self identify. Ever. Even when asked.
- If something is trending, it's already old news to Hipsters.
- If something is popular, odds are a Hipster won't like it, or if they do, they liked it before anyone even knew about it.
- If there is a bike, a bird, or succulent imprinted on an item, it probably is a good gift for a Hipster.
- If it is from Portland, Oregon, it's Hipster.
- If your grandma owned it, Hipster will like it.
- If it's handmade they will want it; if it's handmade AND organic, even better; if it's handmade and organic AND ethically made you've hit the jackpot for a Hipster gift!
If you are still confused or just want a checklist for gifts, here we go...
1. Handmade Bow Ties by local creator Douglas Lavack. This classic find is new to The Forks Trading Post and getting some attention (but not too much that a Hipster wouldn't like it).
2. Ox Skull Print: you can find a variety of animal prints at Teekca's Aboriginal Boutique. Again, animal print= awesome gift.
3. Genuine Leather Mitts: Great for Winnipeg winters, your hands will never be warmer. The Forks Trading Post has these and other mitts/gloves to keep your fingers toasty.
4. Beard Oil: As far as Hipsters go, facial hair (especially beards) are always a good thing, and grooming is key. Find this and other beard grooming products at Generation Green.
5. Wild Flower Bath: Anything that comes in old-school tins are always a good thing. Featured here is a vintage looking tin filled with bath time goodness. The Forks Trading Post has these and other great bath products.
6. Hand Mill: Have you ever wanted to hand grind some wheat to make homemade bread? If so, odds are you may be a Hipster (or a Hipster at heart)! Stop by Generation Green for this great gadget and get back to baking basics.
7. Russian Nesting Dolls: These add a decorative touch of history and colour to any Hipster home. You'll want to grab these from SF Imports.
8. Elephant Teapot: Items with an animals on them are a great gifts... but a gift in the shape of an animal- even better. This cute elephant teapot is from The Human Bean and is only $14.99
9. Wooden Postcard: Nothing says Hipster like a handwritten note, so give them a wooden moose postcard so they can write a note to a loved one. Check out Two Rivers for other postcard prints.
10. Souvinear Spoon: It's vintage, and grandmas love them, so talk about a double win for a Hipster gift! This one comes from Two Rivers and is only $4.99.
11. Bike Notebook: Need we say more. These notebooks are locally made and can be picked up at Generation Green.
12. Beard Balm: Does their beard need more shape? Slip some of this into their stocking. Generation Green is where it can be found.
13. S'well Water Bottle: Keeps hot drinks HOT and iced drinks ICED for hours. Generation Green has a large selection of reusable water bottles to choose from.
14. Gorp Bar: A healthy way to stuff their stocking, this Manitoba-made treat will keep them full. Find all three delicious flavours at Generation Green.
15. Watuko Headband: From crazy patterns to solid colours, there are a variety of headbands Hipsters adore at Generation Green.
So there you have it — things for The Hipster. Still to come... The Parents! Hopefully your shopping has been as happy as ours.